Monday 14 January 2013

Money, Money, Money…




OK, that’s enough now. This whole money thing – it’s boring me. It’s time to blast old limiting beliefs and wipe the money slate clean.

Jacqueline Harrison (who’s writing How To Create A Business From Nothing and the reason I’m writing this blog) is on holiday, so I haven’t received any chapters from her in a few weeks. However, the break has given me time to consider some of the comments that I’ve read in her book so far.

Tucked away in one chapter is the idea to start noticing subtle thoughts and behaviours and write them down. In the past few weeks (especially over Christmas) I’ve been doing quite a lot of this. And I’m amazed at what I’ve noticed. It turns out I have quite a lot of fleeting negative thoughts that I was previously unaware of. And a lot of them stem around a fear of and/or negative ideas about money.

Hmm…

What’s incredible is that these thoughts are so fleeting and subtle that if I blinked I could easily miss them. Which I guess is what I’ve been doing for the past 41 or so years. But now that I’ve tuned into this pirate radio frequency, I can definitely hear an army of fuzzy, crackly and parasitic thoughts that appear to have one thing in mind: Sabotage!

Aarrgghhhh! Batten down the hatches!

Little did I know that alongside my dream of running a successful business (or four) and living in a gorgeous 4-bedroom house in Queensland with a husband and two dogs, is a dirty great ship of treacherous thoughts. I honestly hadn’t previously taken any notice of these mixed messages that were residing in my mind. I guess I must have heard them, but I hadn’t consciously listened.

Here’s an example of the negative spin I tuned into:

1. Hearing about a friend who was trying on wedding dresses in the range of $6,000 my pirate station reported how that was a lot of money (too much) to spend on a dress that will only be worn for a day. The headline read something like: What A Waste! But who says? If money is just energy then why not enjoy wearing a beautiful dress that costs $6k? I bet she looked a million dollars – which if you look at it that way, means only paying six grand is cheap!

2. When I got cut up in traffic by a BMW 4-wheel drive, the subtle reaction I had was that BMW drivers (i.e. rich people) have no respect for others. Blimey! Talk about a sweeping generalisation! After meditating on that one I tuned into messages I'd heard as a child that people who drive expensive cars (or who happen to be rich) are "posh", unlikeable or stupid. That wording may not be exactly what I heard, but the essence is very real.

3. I passed a teenager driving a Lexus, still on his red P-plates. A bit like the above reaction, I had a thought that these kids don’t know how lucky they are, and why have their parents bought them a fancy car when they are still learning to drive. Good lord, why do I think that? Why not learn to drive in a nice car? Why should teenagers start their driving career in a rusty old banger just because I did?

4. When I imagined earning lots of money from my four business streams I noticed that I felt a bit stressed. Again, after a meditation I realised that I have a belief that in order to earn millions I must have to be stressed.

Right, well, I reckon that all needs to be bagged up and thrown overboard.

There have been numerous other instances that I can’t recall right now, but daily (very, very subtle) attacks occur when I’m paying for groceries or I know a bill is due. On the surface, I’m cool; I know I’ve had a bad year financially and that things will pick up. But, faintly detectable is a fear that This Is It. That I’m living hand to mouth and it won’t really ever pick up. Or if it does that it will be temporary and I’ll once again find myself in financial ruin, albeit having enjoyed spells of reasonable wealth.

I’ve noticed that a disbelief of lasting wealth (for me) is my story. But since I’ve recognised these subtle influences it’s time to start writing a new script.

And so it got me thinking. A bit like living next to neighbours who have late night parties on a weekday and never take out the trash, if I want to live in peace and harmony and enjoy financial freedom then it’s not going to happen while I’m harbouring Captain Blackbeard and his parrot-like thoughts now is it?

I don’t know for sure, but tuning in to the subtle frequency of those limiting beliefs must be a key to buying my way off the ship of financial doom. If I keep my future vision of living in a gorgeous house on the Sunshine Coast in mind, and make it my duty to begin each day stepping into that “space” and meditating on how it feels to have achieved all my goals, then surely that will help. As Mike Dooley (and numerous other geniuses including Einstein) say or have said: Thoughts Become Things. So if I can just notice these sneaky old beliefs when they pop up, I can swashbuckle them with my vision and feelings of a new and much more lucrative existence. And if I continue doing this on a daily basis, eventually those fuzzy old beliefs will atrophy and die.

Just as an athlete can educate his body to become faster by training regularly and staying focused on his goal, the same law must apply to thoughts and beliefs. All I need to do is be my own coach and notice when I’m slacking off or falling prey to old habits, then swiftly and easily shift my thinking, and if necessary, give myself a bit of a pep talk.

So, as I took my morning walk around Bellevue Hill this morning, I opened my eyes to the wonderful wealth that surrounds me – that I am already part of! I thanked my fellow Bellevue residents for being able to accept and receive wealth and to live in three storey mansions with tennis courts and swimming pools. I admired the streamlined Mercedes’ that line the streets and took a picture with my iPhone of the very cute BMW Mini that is on my wish list. Thank you very much!

As I said good morning to passing neighbours I thought about how great it is to live in such a nice area with such lovely people, and I tuned in to the frequency of wealth and abundance. I kept my mind on the luxurious life I am working towards and pictured bundles of $5000 dollar bills strapped to the fences on either side of me (I know they don’t really exist, but I’m allowed creative licence, this is my dream after all). I imagined collecting some of the cash until I had so much I had to imagine myself wheeling a trolley behind me so I could carry it all home. I made sure my mind stayed on the joy of having this cash and sent any guilty feelings off to walk the plank.

With these thoughts in mind I conjured up the following mantras that are based on what I’ve read in Louise L. Hay’s book How To Heal Your Life. They go like this:

I am willing to release my need to believe that I have to be stressed to earn lots of money. I choose to earn millions easily and effortlessly now.
I am willing to release my need to struggle with money. The Universe is overflowing with abundance and I am open and willing to receive it now.
I am willing to release my need to believe I can’t have everything I want. The Universe is abundant with gifts and I am open and ready to receive them now.

Whether any of this works for me is yet to be proven and until such time, I’ll keep blogging about it. 

In the meantime, I’ve given strict orders to tie up Captain Blackbeard and stick a reel of masking tape over his mouth. I’m the Captain of this ship and nothing, especially not an old limiting belief is going to stop me from landing this vessel on Treasure Island and digging up that chest of gold.

X marks the million dollar spot and I am determined to stay right on course until I get there.


Just you wait and see.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah
    I can so relate to you! I'm reading and doing some of the exercises from Mark Smith www.heartofmoney.com to keep myself on track. He feels authentic. I'm great at helping others and now time for me to do it! I am also new to twitter and just started a new business. I am determined as well. I like your writing and will follow your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lora, thanks for your great message. How fabulous that we are both on the same path! Yay to you! Good luck with your mission, I'm with you all the way! h x

    ReplyDelete